Ong ah, huat ah!
Published for A&W, 16 Jan 2020, 11:18 AM
Cover image via
1. Place a Wealth Bowl beside your house door for prosperity
Fill a glass or ceramic bowl with coins and place it beside your house door. Every time you come home with loose change, remember to place the coins into the wealth bowl to symbolically accumulate wealth.
2. Prepare a jug of warm sweet tea and place it in a tray along with four cups of tea at the southeast corner of your home
Locate the southeast corner of your home, and place the tea on a small table or chair. This will help you usher in good fortune all year long.
Here’s a simple recipe for sweet tea:
- 8 pieces of red dates
- 8 pieces of candied winter melon
- 8 pieces of rock sugar
- 8 slices of candied kumquat or candied tangerine
- 8 pieces of candied plums
- 8 pieces of dried longan
- 8 pieces of dried figs
- 8 pieces of dried pears
- 8 cups of water
Method: Boil all of the above for 5 minutes, strain and serve.
3. Step into the ‘Year of the Rat’ with homemade cookies
Rat shaped cookies are not only cute and yummy, they will also help you to attract luck, prosperity, happiness, and good health in 2020.
4. Fill your wardrobe and decorate your home with the lucky colours of 2020 – white and blue
Go for that cute white top and blue skirt as you shop for your CNY outfits. Plus, be on the lookout for home accessories like white pillows and blue curtains to fill your home with good fortune.
5. Toss out old items, especially those with chips and cracks
It’s time to do some spring cleaning and throw out unnecessary items in your home. Pay special attention to your plates, bowls, and cups, because it’s very bad feng shui to serve food in damaged utensils.
6. Set the dining table with prosperous fruits like mandarin oranges, mangoes, lemons, and grapes
Tangerines symbolise gold and wealth, mangos stand for good family ties, lemons will help to ward off negative vibes, and grapes stand for good luck.
7. Reel in good fortune by eating fish this festive season
In Chinese, fish has the same pronunciation as “surplus” or “extra”, which is why eating fish is associated with having abundance throughout the year. Take your fish dishes up a notch by adding spicy red chillies, which are said to give you fiery (and thriving) business for the year.
8. Bring your loved ones together for a festive meal (or a few)
No Chinese New Year would be complete without reunion dinners and meet-ups. Toss yee sang, savour tasty CNY treats, and enjoy each other’s company as you multiply your good fortune!
Ready to usher in a year of good fortune in 2020?
Enjoy five times the fortune with A&W’s 5 Fortune Burger this Chinese New Year, now available at A&W outlets nationwide
This limited time burger is specially crafted with five spice chicken patties, with the five spices representing Fortune, Happiness, Peace, Success, and Health.
Topped with purple cabbage and dressed with oriental BBQ sauce and spicy hot ranch sauce, this burger will be a burst of flavours in your mouth. Make it a truly prosperous meal with an A&W RB and golden wedges drizzled with spicy hot ranch sauce.
From 20 January to 24 January 2020, A&W will also be giving away amazing prizes every day on their Facebook Page
Head over to A&W’s Facebook Page and answer a question on Fortune, Happiness, Peace, Success, and Health for a chance to win prizes.
Visit your nearest A&W outlet this Chinese New Year to try their limited time festive burger with your loved ones!
All copyrights for this article are reserved to DIY