Nancy De Gennaro, Murfreesboro Daily News Journal
Published 8:34 a.m. CT Sept. 13, 2019 | Updated 11:24 a.m. CT Sept. 13, 2019
Last SlideNext Slide
Burger Bar in Murfreesboro took this year’s top prize at the third annual Battle of the Burger. Everyone with a ticket to the event served as a judge.
“It was an absolute upset this year. We had Jack Brown’s Beer and Burger Joint winning two years in a row, and this year, Burger Bar takes home the win,” said Britton Fraley, an advertising executive with Murfreesboro Magazine, which organized the event alongside The Daily News Journal.
Burger Bar’s Southern Jam featured a Hereford beef patty smothered with house-made beer cheese, pimento cheese and bacon jam, topped with fried onion rings on a potato bun.
“What we wanted to do was come up with a burger that was different and balance some sweet and some salty and some crunchy elements to give it a good mouth feel,” said executive chef Kevin Edmondson, who created the Southern Jam.
Jack Brown’s slid in right behind Burger Bar with The Ponch: a Wagyu beef patty topped with house-made guacamole, bacon, Sriracha mayo and white cheddar cheese.
Burger Republic took third place with the restaurant’s best-selling West Coast Burger: an Angus beef patty topped with American cheese, Burger Republic sauce, lettuce, tomato and grilled onions on a locally baked, fresh brioche bun.
Other competitors included:
- Goodness Gracious at the Mill with the Jalapeno Popper Burger: an all-beef patty topped with a house-made jalapeno pepper cream cheese mixture of bacon, cheddar, jalapenos and green onion; bacon; and fresh-grilled jalapenos.
- Jefferson’s brought its Jalapeno Burger: a hand-pattied ground beef patty topped with pepper jack cheese, fried jalapenos and Jefferson’s house-made jalapeno sauce on a potato bun.
- Sam’s Sports Grill served up the Black Label Burger: a certified Hereford beef patty topped with pepper jack cheese and bacon.
- BJ’s Restaurant’s Hickory Brisket and Bacon Burger featured a fire-grilled beef patty, sweet-and-tangy BJ’s peppered barbecue sauce, smoked brisket, applewood-smoked bacon, jack-and-cheddar cheese, red onions, mayonnaise and a toasted Parker House bun.
- Puckett’s Grocery’s Low and Slow Burger combined thick-cut bacon, pimento cheese, green tomato jam, roasted red pepper aioli bibb lettuce and smoked burger patty on a toasted brioche bun.
p id=”article-body-p-last”>Reach Nancy DeGennaro at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @NanDeGennaro.
Read or Share this story: https://www.dnj.com/story/entertainment/dining/2019/09/13/battle-burger-burgerbar-wins-best-place-eat-murfreesboro-magazine/2299789001/
All copyrights for this article are reserved to food