Old Master Q > smartphones. <small> Cover image via OldMasterQ.com </small>
Before smartphones became our main source of entertainment, we had one of the most popular comic series of all time – ‘Old Master Q’ a.k.a. Lao Fu Zi – to keep us occupied while waiting for our mums in hair salons!
Sadly, as you might have heard by now, Alfonso Wong – the creator of the iconic series – has passed away on 1 January 2017 at the age of 93
Wong started drawing the iconic comic strips in 1962, before they were serialised in 1964, under his son's name (Wong Chak). The series, which has inspired several TV and film adaptations, is still in publication today.</p>
From long-haired dudes to life-threatening gags, there’s no doubt that Wong has a knack for tickling our funny bones with his wacky characters and storylines… even for those of us who don’t read Chinese!
The main characters, from left: Mr. Chin, Ms. Chan, Old Master Q, Big Potato, and Mr. Chiu.
Image via Alfonso Wong
Without further ado, here are some of the Old Master Q comic strips we used to read in our childhood:
1. Old Master Q is often portrayed as a ham sap lou who can’t resist women
2. His advances are usually rejected… but boy, does he find a way to get even
3. But on rare occasions, book > woman
4. He can be an a**hole sometimes
5. Especially when he plays practical jokes on his frenemy, Mr. Chiu
6. It’s funny AF though, when he kantoi by his own hand :p
7. He can be very creative too
8. So creative, his paintings actually come to life
9. Wacky ’70s and ’80s fashion is also one of the comics’ long-running gags
10. Old Master Q sure has special relationships with animals
11. And then there are the scary ghosts and haunted paintings and many other things that don’t make sense
BONUS: Big Potato – one of Old Master Q’s best friends – has his moments too. 😀
Which Old Master Q comic strip do you remember most? Let us know in the comments section below!
You can read some ‘Old Master Q’ comics for free here.
More trending news on SAYS:
All copyrights for this article are reserved to DIY